Meanwhile, I've been reminded of how much "The Future" (capital letters and all) is part of science fiction. And how views of "the future" are so much a part of western culture. I put together a link page for another blog (Apathetic Lemming of the North, "The Future: Just Like Today, Only Different "), to help me keep track of micro-reviews - and the occasional rant - about up-and-coming technologies, and what "The Future" looked like, back in the day.
In this blog, I see I've done a few posts about "The Future" - at least one of them rambling even by my standards. As a convenience for myself, and you, if you're interested, I'm starting a list of posts that are mostly on this topic:
- "The Future: Just Like Today, Only Different"
Apathetic Lemming of the North (October 24, 2009)
- "Nanotech and Keeping Up"
(October 3, 2009)
- "Food, Agriculture, Technology, and City Folks"
(October 2, 2009)
- "'Kids These Days' - Rambling on About Human Nature"
(September 10, 2009)
- "Inventions: Strange; Feared; and Yet-to-Come"
(August 25, 2009)
- "Four Millennia of Human Nature: I Think Qoheleth is Right"
(August 3, 2009)
- " 'The Future, Far as Human Eye Could See' - Hollerith Cards and Anachronisms"
(August 2, 2009)
- ""...Into the Future..." - Excerpt; Attitude; Comment and Theme"
(July 3, 2009)
- "- - - 'And We're All Gonna Die!' "
(June 30, 2009)
- "Predicting the Future: a Look at a Will Be that Was"
(June 26, 2009)
- "Getting Details Right: The Vast, Huge, and Very Large City Of The Future"
(June 25, 2009)